Dicussion Questions. 150 min Each Question
1. Do you agree with people who favor adult sanctions for juvenile offenders; for example, “If you’re old enough to do the crime, you’re old enough to do the time”? Why or why not? Where should the line
be drawn? Why?
2. How might the issue of large numbers of inmates who suffer from mental illness or drug addiction be
addressed? Is prison the appropriate place for these offenders? If so, under what conditions? If not, where should they be?
3. What are the four purposes of criminal punishment? How effective do you think the current system is in accomplishing each of these?
4. Three populations are currently exempt from the death penalty. If the court were to exempt a fourth, who should it be and why?
5. Why do you think there is such strong objection to the Affordable Care Act? What interests is the law trying to balance?