Instructions: You may use your textbook, notes, and internet resources to complete this assignment You are not allowed to work with your classmates. Please answer all questions and follow instructions on the length of each response. Frame your responses clearly, be as specific as possible, and use full sentences unless otherwise indicated. Please type your responses. Point values for each question are shown below. Your completed exam must be turned in on Canvas by 10 pm on Tuesday (5/4). Late exams will not be accepted.
Question 1. (15 points) The committee responsible for drafting the Social Security Act (SSA) of 1935 considered but decided against the inclusion of a health insurance program. The Medicare program was passed in 1965 as a modification to the SSA.
- Briefly explain some of the circumstances that delayed the passage of the Medicare program. Please respond in 1-2 paragraphs. (10 points)
- Please do some research and briefly describe at least one modification to the Medicare program since its 1965 implementation. Be specific, and please respond in 3-5 sentences. (5 points)
Question 2. (15 points) Discuss the role of each branch of the federal government in policy implementation. Why are each of these roles important? Please respond in up to 3-4 paragraphs.
Questions 3 and 4 relate to our lecture on COVID-19 and public health policy.
Question 3. (20 points).
- Describe one failure or gap in terms of one of the 3 core functions of public health (i.e., assessment, development, assurance) during the pandemic. Please be specific and provide examples/data to support your statement. Please respond in 1-2 paragraphs. (10 points)
- Please provide one strategy to address the gap you described in Part (A) in the future. Please be specific and respond in 1-2 paragraphs. (10 points)
Question 4. (20 points). In your assigned reading (Brownson 2020), the authors write:
“…Like other pandemics, this one has thrived on inequity, causing substantially higher mortality among those living in poverty and in some racial and minority groups as well as in the elderly and chronically ill.””
What do the author mean by this statement? Please do some research and provide statistics/evidence on how the pandemic has disproportionately affected people living in poverty and some racial and ethnic groups. Please respond in 2-3 paragraphs and provide specific examples and figures to support your statements.
Question 5. (30 points) This question relates to the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and possibilities for future health care reform.
- Select and briefly describe 3 major provisions of the ACA. What was each provision intended to accomplish? Please respond in 2-3 paragraphs. (10 points)
- Briefly describe how Biden’s American Rescue Plan will affect the implementation of the ACA. Please respond in 1-2 paragraphs. (10 points)
- Choose one important goal for future health care reform. In your opinion, what specific changes should we make as a society to address that goal? Please support your opinion with lecture material and/or internet research and be specific. Please respond in 1-2 paragraphs. (10 points)