Writing Assignment: Talk the Talk
n this writing assignment, you are going to analyze a single story (from the American Short Stories collection) through the lens of two different types of analysis; review the two types in this chart.
|Type of Criticism||Definition||Guiding Questions|
|Historical||A school of thought that looks at how a text defines and is defined by the time period in which it was written.||
|Reader Response||A school of thought that focuses on the reader’s (or “audience’s”) experience of a literary work.||
1. You have read and annotated one of the following stories from your American Short Stories anthology according to the guiding questions of reader response and historical criticisms.
- The Lottery (135)
- A&P (259)
- Miriam (147)
- The Wooing of Ariadne (299)
- Where Have You Gone Charming Billy? (337)
- Everything Stuck to Him (349)
2. Write a one-paragraph (minimum 10 sentences) analysis of the story for each of the two types of criticism.. For each paragraph, include:
- A hook.
- A brief summary.
- An arguable thesis related to the type of criticism and the theme of the story.
- At least 2 embedded/direct quotations from the text that support your thesis with a lead in and commentary for each.
- A thesis echo.
- A clincher.
3. Revise and edit your paragraphs for logic, unity, and completeness.