Read Case #8 “Tesla Motors” and prepare written answers to questions posted on Bb – submit written answers to your professor through Blackboard.
Assignment Questions: Do your best to review the case and answer the following questions –
1. What are the defining characteristics of the [case study company]’s industry? What is the industry like?
2. What is competition like in this industry? What competitive forces seem to have the greatest effect on industry attractiveness? What are the competitive weapons that rivals are using to try to outmaneuver one another in the marketplace?
3. How is the market for this company’s goods/services changing? What are the underlying drivers of change and how might those driving forces change the industry?
4. What key factors determine the success of competitors in the [case study company]’s industry?
5. What is the [case study company]’s strategy to compete in their industry? Has the company’s competitive strategy yielded a sustainable competitive advantage? If so, has that advantage translated into superior financial and market performance? Do some analysis beyond a simple SWOT chart. Consider the financial ratios for their industry and other metrics.
6. What competencies and capabilities does the [case study company] have that its chief rivals don’t have? What new market opportunities does this company possess? From your analysis, is the company positioned correctly in the market? What threats do you see to the company’s future growth?
7. What specific recommendations would you make to senior leadership of the [case study company] to improve the company’s competitive position in the industry and its financial and market performance? Please use data analysis to support your answers.
- Gamble, J.E., Thompson, A.A; and Peteraf, M.A. (2017). Essentials of Strategic Management: The Quest for Competitive Advantage, 5th edition. Boston: McGraw-Hill/Irwin, 2017. ISBN 9781259546983.