Search the Internet for U.S. climate data.
Choose Los Angeles California
Click on the tab that reads “Daily.”
- Prepare a spreadsheet with three columns: Date, High Temperature, and Low Temperature. List the past 60 days for which data is available.
- Prepare a histogram for the data on high temperatures and comment on the shape of the distribution as observed from these graphs.
- Calculate and S.
- What percentage of the high temperatures are within the interval – S to + S?
- What percentage of the high temperatures are within the interval – 2S to + 2S?
- How do these percentages compare to the corresponding percentages for a normal distribution (68.26% and 95.44%, respectively)?
- Repeat Parts 2 to 6 for the minimum temperatures on your spreadsheet.
- Would you conclude that the two distributions are normally distributed? Why or why not?