Chapter 10, as well as your required resources, address employee attitudes and suggest that an increase in job performance is reliant on job satisfaction. The authors of our text suggest that highly satisfying jobs are more complex, requiring the worker to utilize a variety of skills and to deal with unpredictable situations (i.e. teaching, managing, engineering, etc.), unlike jobs where the work is repetitive and less thought-provoking (general laborers, factory workers, and the like). In addition, the work expectations are suggested to differ based on generations, which may likely also affect job satisfaction.
- Consider the generation you fall into, based on the text:
- The Traditionalists or Matures
- The Baby Boomers
- Generation X
- Generation Y or the Millennials
- Generation Z
- Consider your own expectations. Do they align with what the content and outside sources suggest about the characteristics of these generational groups?
- Applying this component (work expectations), consider you own goals for going back to school. Do your goals align with these expectations?
- Do you think your educational/career goals align with the suggestions about job satisfaction? Do you desire to obtain a higher-level thinking career? If so, why? If not, why not?
- After analyzing all of the factors, what do you think the implications might be on an organization’s productivity with the evolving employee expectations, need for work-life balance, and job satisfaction?
- Do you think we will see changes in the future of how organizations achieve these goals? How?
- Consider a goal you might assign to a group at your work, the organization where you volunteer, or other potential organization. (Examples: (a) to decrease the errors in timecard submissions, or (b) to successfully submit a group project to the instructor.) Applying Chapter 9, what potential strategies would be important to consider to assist a diverse multi-generational team in deciding on possible strategies and successfully meeting the goal?
Your initial post should be between 350 and 400 words. You must use at least one scholarly, peer-reviewed source that was published within the past five years. Cite all information from your sources according to APA guidelines as outlined in the In-Text Citation Helper: A Guide to Making APA In-Text Citations (Links to an external site.). List each of your sources at the end of your post according to APA style as shown in the sample page for References (Links to an external site.).