Male-Female Differences, Cultural and Ethnic Differences
1. Read: Chapters 11 & 13 in Friedman & Schustack’s Personality: Classical theories and modern research;
Read Chapters 33-36 in Friedman & Schustack’s Readings in personality: Classical theories and modern research.
Explain how the biological/ evolutionary approach enhances our understanding of gender differences.
– Discuss interactionist approaches to understanding gender differences and the important role of sociocultural influences in shaping gender differences.
– Explain how cross-cultural studies contribute to our understanding of gender differences.
Explain what is meant by “cultural effects” and how culture might influence personality.
– Define the construct of race and explain potential problems with using it as an approach to grouping people.
– Discuss how socioeconomic status and culture interact to influence personality